The past March 21 is World Sleep Day. The theme of 2021 is “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future” (Regular Sleep, Healthy Future), emphasizing that regular sleep is an important pillar of health, and healthy sleep can improve the quality of life. Good and healthy sleep is very precious to modern people, because sleep is being “deprived” by various external factors, including work pressure, life factors, and the popularization of electronic equipment products. The health of sleep is self-evident. As we all know, one third of a person’s life is spent in sleep, which shows that sleep is a person’s physiological need. As a necessary process of life, sleep is an important part of the body’s recovery, integration and consolidation of memory, and an indispensable part of health. More studies have shown that lack of sleep for as little as one night can lead to reduced neutrophil function, and that prolonged sleep time and subsequent stress response can lead to immunodeficiency。
For outstanding. A survey in 2019 showed that 40% of Japanese people sleep less than 6 hours; more than half of Australian teenagers do not get enough sleep; 62% of adults in Singapore think they do not get enough sleep. The survey results published by the Chinese Sleep Research Association show that the incidence of insomnia in Chinese adults is as high as 38.2%, which means that more than 300 million people have sleep disorders.
1. Melatonin: Melatonin has sales of 536 million U.S. dollars in 2020. It deserves to be the “boss” of the sleep aid market. Its sleep aid effect is recognized, but it is safe and “controversial.” Studies have found that excessive use of melatonin may cause problems such as imbalance of human hormone levels and cerebral vasoconstriction. The use of products containing melatonin has also been banned by minors abroad. As a traditional sleep aid raw material, melatonin has the largest market sales, but its overall share is declining. In the same situation, valerian, ivy, 5-HTP, etc., the single raw material market is lacking in growth, and even began to decline.
2. L-Theanine: The market growth rate of L-theanine is as high as 7395.5%. This raw material was first discovered by Japanese scholars in 1950. For decades, scientific research on L-theanine has never stopped. Studies have found that it can penetrate the blood-brain barrier and has a good calming and soothing properties. From food additives in Japan to GRAS certification in the United States, to new food materials in China, the safety of L-theanine has been recognized by many official agencies. At present, many end product formulations contain this raw material, including brain strengthening, sleep aid, mood improvement and other directions.
3. Ashwagandha: The market growth of Ashwagandha is also good, about 3395%. Its market enthusiasm is inseparable from adapting to the historical origin of the original herbal medicine, and at the same time leading the adapted original herbal medicine to a new development direction, another potential raw material after curcumin. American consumers have a high market awareness of Ashwagandha, and its sales in the direction of emotional health support have maintained steady growth, and its current sales are second only to magnesium. However, due to legal reasons, it cannot be applied to products in our country. The world’s mainstream manufacturers are basically in the United States and India, including Sabinesa, Ixoreal Biomed, Natreon and so on.
The sleep aid market has been growing steadily, especially during the new crown epidemic, people have become more anxious and irritable, and more and more consumers are seeking sleep and relaxation supplements to cope with this crisis. NBJ market data shows that the sales of sleep supplements in US retail channels reached 600 million US dollars in 2017 and is expected to reach 845 million US dollars in 2020. The overall market demand is growing, and the market raw materials are also updating and iterating.
1. PEA: Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) is an endogenous fatty acid amide, produced in the human body, and also found in animal offal, egg yolk, olive oil, safflower and soy lecithin, peanuts and other foods. The anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties of PEA have been well-tested. At the same time, Gencor’s trial for rugby sports people found that PEA is part of the endocannabinoid system and helps to improve sleep conditions. Unlike CBD, PEA is legally recognized as a dietary supplement raw material in many countries around the world, and has a long history of safe use.
2. Saffron extract: Saffron, also known as saffron, is native to Spain, Greece, Asia Minor and other places. In the middle of the Ming Dynasty, it was introduced into my country from Tibet, so it is also called saffron. Saffron extract contains two specific functional components-crocetin and crocetin, which can promote the levels of GABA and serotonin in the blood, thereby regulating the balance between emotional substances and improving sleep. At present, the main suppliers are Activ’Inside, Pharmactive Biotech, Weida International, etc.
3. Nigella seeds: Nigella seeds are produced in the Mediterranean coastal countries such as India, Pakistan, Egypt and Central Asia, and they are mainly home Nigella. It has a long history of use in Arab, Unani and Ayurvedic medicinal systems. Nigella seeds contain compounds such as thymoquinone and thymol, which have high medicinal value, which can increase the level of serotonin in the brain, reduce anxiety, increase mental energy level and mood level, and improve sleep. At present, the mainstream companies include Akay Natural, TriNutra, Botanic Innovations, Sabine and so on.
4. Asparagus extract: Asparagus is a familiar food material in daily life. It is also a common food-grade raw material in traditional medicine. Its main function is diuresis, lowering blood lipids and lowering blood sugar. The asparagus extract ETAS® jointly developed by Nihon University and Hokkaido company Amino-Up Co. has shown clinically proven advantages in terms of stress relief, sleep control and cognitive function. At the same time, after nearly 10 years of research and development, Qinhuangdao Changsheng Nutrition and Health Technology Co., Ltd. has developed a domestic nutritional intervention and sleep regulation pure natural food-asparagus extract, which fills the gap in this field in China.
5. Milk protein hydrolysate: Lactium® is a milk protein (casein) hydrolysate that contains a biologically active decapeptide with a relaxing effect, also known as α-casozepine. The raw material is jointly developed by the French company Ingredia and the researchers of the University of Nancy in France. In 2020, the US FDA approved its 7 health claims, including helping to improve the quality of sleep, helping to reduce stress, and helping to fall asleep faster.
6. Magnesium: Magnesium is a mineral that is often forgotten by people, but it participates in a variety of physiological reactions in the human body, such as the synthesis of ATP (the main source of energy for cells in the body). Magnesium plays an important role in balancing neurotransmitters, improving sleep, improving stress, and relieving muscle pain . The market has grown rapidly in the past two years. Data from Euromonitor International shows that global magnesium consumption will increase from 2017 to 2020 11%.
In addition to the sleep aid materials mentioned above, GABA, tart cherry juice, wild jujube seed extract, patented polyphenol mixture
Dairy products become a new outlet in the sleep-relieving market, probiotics, prebiotics, fungal material Zylaria, etc. are all ingredients worth looking forward to.
Health and clean labels are still the main drivers of innovation in the dairy industry. Gluten-free and additive/preservative-free will become the most important claims for global dairy products in 2020, and claims of high protein and non-lactose sources are also increasing. . In addition, functional dairy products have also begun to become a new development outlet in the market. Innova Market Insights said that in 2021, “emotional health Mood” will become another hot trend in the dairy industry. New dairy products surrounding emotional health are growing rapidly, and there are more and more packaging requirements related to specific emotional platforms.
Calming/relaxing and enhancing energy are the most mature product directions, while the promotion of sleep is still a niche market, which is developed from a relatively small basis and shows the potential for further innovation. It is expected that dairy products such as sleep aid and pressure relief will become the new outlets of the industry in the future. In this field, GABA, L-theanine, jujube seed, tuckaman, chamomile, lavender, etc. are all common formula ingredients. At present, a number of dairy products focusing on relaxation and sleep have appeared in the domestic and foreign markets, including: Mengniu “Good evening” chamomile-flavored milk contains GABA, tuckahoe powder, wild jujube seed powder and other medicinal and edible raw materials.
Post time: Mar-24-2021